CNN.com

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Narrow escape from jaywalking

Seattle, WA, USA.
Today I have encountered amazing incident. I have never come across that kind of incident in my life so far. I was crossing the road over crosswalk; suddenly I heard a sound of police vehicle siren and calling somebody at the same time. I turned back and saw a cop was calling the pedestrians walking on the pavement. Unfortunately all of them have just crossed the road on red light (Don’t walk) signal. I am the one of them. All of them were surprised and looking at the cop whereas cop was shouting at them and saying them to come close by. Some of them went to the cop and some of them pretended as nothing had happened and simply passed by. I chose the second option and didn’t look back and kept moving toward my office. I had realized at that time itself that I violated the traffic rule and he is going to give us a ticket. However I didn’t know that rule before. Just because of one incident I saw the day before yesterday help me to escape from the cop. A cop sitting over the motorbike was giving a ticket to a couple. I looked around for the vehicle stopped by thinking that they got pull over, I hate pull over and feel sorry for them whoever get the same, coz that mean your $100-$200 is about to go away from your pocket, but I didn’t see any and thought they might be a friend. Today I realized, they were not a friend, moreover that incident clicked on mind at the time when the cop was calling us. Thank god. I managed to escape somehow and thank that couple…
What other people say about the jaywalking in Seattle:
Hilarious! I lived is Seattle for ten years. Coming from Boston one of the toughest things to get used to was the fact that THEY DON'T JAYWALK in Seattle. People will gather at a corner when there is not a car for miles and patiently wait for the signal. That used to drive me crazy. I once received a $75 ticket which goes against your driver license. Watch it Manny, they'll cuff 'ya. - Barron Herald.

In Seattle jaywalking is considered a very serious offense. I got a ticket for jaywalking even though they were doing construction and I couldn't get to the corner. Oh, and once I jaywalked and two other pedestrians gave me a very stern lecture. They weren't even cops and didn't say anything about tickets but said, "don't you believe in traffic lights?" like it was a religion or something (it was a tiny side street and no car in sight). That city really needs to get their priorities straight. - Marc Benjamin.

I lived in Seattle and the cops there are Jaywalking Nazis, I've never seen anything like it. When you need a cop in Seattle they are never around, but when you are crossing the street and there's no traffic, but the signal does not indicate walk, you better believe you will get a fine. Drove me insane!!!!- John Shana



1 comment:

Acope said...

The rule and regulation in USA is really good, nobody is above the rule.That's why America is America.Top of the World.Even you have to obey the traffic rule very strictly. I wish Nepal had this kind of discipline. Especially with the ruler of the nation.Thank you for the information. However it is shocking.Difficult to believe.