CNN.com

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Thakali Kitchen: The Authentic Nepali Cuisine

“Food is a central activity of mankind and one of the single most significant trademarks of a culture” ~ Mark Kurlansky

When you think about the authentic Nepali food with typical Nepali taste, one place you certainly should not miss in your New York Visit is the Thakali Kitchen in Jackson Height, NY.

It is very difficult to find the place that serve typical Nepali taste in USA. Most of them are hybrid of Indian and some other south Asian/Asian flavor. Moreover some Nepali restaurant plays Hindi songs instead of Nepali songs. People visit in Nepali restaurant to have Nepali cultural experience besides Nepali food. I felt so blessed that Thakali kitchen offers typical Nepali dishes like; Samay bajee, Bhutan, choyala etc. It’s always pleasing to experiment with different varieties of Nepali cuisines in foreign land.

Thakali Kitchen, located at Jackson Height, New York, is one such outlet in town where you will not be disappointed when it comes to getting a genuine Nepali dining and wining. It is way relief from those boring Nepalese restaurants with Hindi songs and Indian cuisine under the cushion of Nepali name. I would rather go to Indian restaurant, if I feel like to have Indian food. But Thakali cuisine is a unique thing unto itself.

Besides delicious food, the atmosphere, setting, and hospitality equally do matter to make your visit a memorable one. In that case, you truly deserve a “Thakali” experiecne beacause management has taken care of beautiful setting and internal decortion in nepali way; more importantly reataurant staffs’ hospitality and their friendly behavior will be welcoming you all the time for your pleasant experience.

As we were heading to the restaurant, I was not so excited due to my past experience with other Nepalese restaurants. However, I had good feeling when we entered Thakali Kitchen because of its unique features. I was more excited when I was going through menu. We felt like to order everything in the menu, which is not possible and had to select few from the list. I would like to mention items we had ordered, including the one recommended by restaurant staff, as below:
1) Chicken Momo
2) Chicken Choila (Grilled and marinated )
3) Samya Bajee ( Nepali Bento Box)
4) Buff Chilly
5) Chicken Chilly
6) Thakali Style Aloo Sukuti w/jimbu (recommended by staff and was delicious)
7) Sukuti Sadeko ( Dried meat served with Nepali spices and a twist of lime)
8) Bhutuwa Goat (Liver stomach intestine sautéed with a touch of spice)

I was overwhelmed after seeing all my favorite dishes on the table that reminded my past gathering with my friends in my favorite restaurant somewhere in Kathmandu. However this wasn’t that much different than past get-together back home, since I was surrounded by my buddies as always with wonderful conversation and delicious Nepali cuisines. No better way to start your meal than with momo and sukuti sadheko. Certainly, Thakali Kitchen was better than I expected. It's also a great option for vegetarians as they offer plenty of veggie main dishes. Prices are also reasonable and affordable.

I wouldn’t miss Thakali Kitchen in my future trip to New York. I still have to taste more items from the menu like:
Sel Roti (Rice flour deep fried in a round shape served with Pickle),
Pangra fry (Gizzard fried with sautéed onions and Nepali herbs),
Sekuwa -Buff (Marinated and Grilled),
Malekhu Macha (Fish marinated and fried),
Thali (Traditional Nepali food served with Rice, Vegetable, Lentil soup, Pickle).

I would recommend you to visit Thakali Kitchen and I guarantee you won’t disappoint. Make sure you don’t miss the samya bajee, momo and sukuti sadeko.

For more information please visit below link:
Thakali Kitchen,Jakson Height, NY
Have authentic Nepali food experience in USA!

2 comments:

Raj said...

Yeah,Thakali Kitchen is really good indeed.Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Would be in my to go list in my next month New York visit.